18 January 2012

We aren't in Kansas anymore...

I might have to add to this post as the 4 years go on, but so far I have noticed some differences.  I figured putting them in a list would be better to understand.  While most things are the same as American...it is those subtle differences that are the hardest to grasp.  Those subtle differences have made the past trying to establish our home a bit challenging.  So here goes for my observations thus far:

  • They drive on the left hand side of the road.  I HAVE gotten used to it though, and my trusty Navigation system is getting me around pretty good.
  • There are not a lot of trucks here...especially the big ones =)
  • Apparently hot water is a luxury...both houses have not had it. at least not as hot as we like it.
  • Shopping carts are called trolleys and they roll sideways as well as front and back.  This makes it HARD to steer the darn thing.  I am not promising that I will not knock over a display at some point.
  • Grocery stores are in the mall...so while I shop for clothes, I can also shop for milk and bread.
  • Coffee is a BIG deal...but not Starbucks, they think that is evil.  And stopping mid morning and midday for "tea" is almost insisted.
  • Dryers are not common in most homes...they hang dry things.  People that do not hang dry are considered lazy.  Color me lazy ;)  I am getting a dryer!
  • Sugar...aw sweet sugar (pun intended)  Their food is not nearly as sweet as ours.  In fact even when I add a sugar packet, it is still not too sweet.  Again my healthy will improve =)
  • Things are very relaxed here...Their saying "no worries" should apply to those giving service.  When you try to get things done...it takes a while.  They like to chat too =)
  • If you saw my Facebook status you already know this one....they are WAY more comfortable with their bodies....topless on a beach is not unusual nor is nudity on TV.  As parent it is our job to steer them clear of those things if we so wish.
  • Ironically Australian wine, Yellow Tail, is twice the price as it is in the States.  
  • Drivers here in Perth are BAD...I might actually be considered a good driver ;)
  • Myth buster:  We have yet to see a Kangeroo =(  Addie is rather disappointed.
  • Myth buster:  The toilet water does not swirl the opposite direction...they just swoosh down =(  I am disappointed in that.
  • Target is NOT cheaper...Kmart is.  So as the girls said "Kmart Smart"  Here's to hoping for a LOT of blue light specials
  • Body surfing at 36 DOES hurt the next day!
  • We are NOT used to their sun, and will have to apply sunscreen each day.
Ok, I will update this list as I think of things...they pop in my head at random times.  The past couple of days have been rough trying to get things established and staying connected to home.  But I have to remain optimistic and know that in the end things are going to be great.  As they say "no worries mate"  =)

As always HUGS AND KISSES...thinking of you all often!

No comments:

Post a Comment