09 January 2012

Packing and Moving dayS

While most of you were busy putting away Christmas presents and decorations, the Collier family was crazy trying to organize our house for the packing of a lifetime.  About a month earlier, a representative from the moving company came to assess our house and see how much space we would need.  He at that time also told us what we could and could not bring....this led to MANY discussions between Dustin and I about should we store this, should we ship this, or Dustin's favorite choice, should we discard this.  We were given stickers to put on everything so the packers knew where to put things.  I could not wrap my head around I was going to leave ANYTHING behind in storage.....clearly I needed everything that was in my house.

Now I HATE to throw anything away (I get that from my father).  I feel this need to hold onto things because one day I might use it, or because of the memory that it might hold for me.  If you really know me than you also know that my closet is the worst offender of all.  I have things in there that I have not worn for the past 10 years, but "one day" I might.  Thank goodness for Andree...she came and politely, in only a way a best friend can, told me that what needed to go.  I thought we made great progress....so much in fact that I went out and bought 6 more pair of pants to replace the ones we got rid of ;)

So back to the stickers....on December 27th we thought we were ready for the packers.  Not so much.  They knocked on our door at 9 am and the fun began.  There were 4 of them, and they worked FAST!!  For as organized as I thought we were, there were so many things that we forgot to label....my duck toilet brush was not on the forefront of my mind and got passed up on the stickering.  Sadly that was not the only thing....HOWEVER, as I was getting my head around trying to separate things and decide what was important enough to take with us, I was realized that somethings were better off in the trash.

They were there for 4 days and had plenty of help from Addie....I think she wanted to them to come with us to Australia =)  Overall they were awesome and did a great time!  We had to take a picture to remember them by.

Walking out of that house totally empty was hard....but in the end those things that were packed in all my boxes are not where my memories are.  My memories are with me and while on our new adventure, I am not going to be so worried about tangible things...instead I am going to focus on making memories with my family.  And those things that had to go to storage...well they will be there when I get back, and I might use them one day ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment