31 January 2012

If it looks like a duck and smells like a duck...DOES NOT mean it is a duck...

So to celebrate Addie's last day before school, I let her pick where she wanted to eat lunch.  She chose Subway.  Secretly I was thrilled because I had been wanting to see if it was like back home.  When we first saw the Subway we were hesitant, it SMELLED like Subway, but would it TASTE like Subway?  After all, when we went to Hungry Jacks aka Burger King, it was nothing like what we expected at all.

So back to Subway,  I ordered Addie and I a Subway Club...easy so far.  The first hurdle came with the cheese... when asked what kind of cheese I wanted, I of course responded with American.  Well clearly they do not have American.  The man just laughed at me.   I asked him my choices and was told "Swiss, Cheddar, and Old English."  My answer was a blank stare.  I did not want cheddar, I do not like swiss, and I had no idea what the hell Old English was.  Again he laughed and said it was probably like American, but they do not call it that for obvious reasons....uh not so obvious to me!

On to the meat and veggies....they were identical to what we have back home, so I figured it was smooth sailing after the cheese...WRONG!  The last part of my order was where things diverted from the good Old USA.  I told the "Sandwich Artist" that I would like salt and pepper, and oil and vinegar.  They do not have oil and vinegar.  My choices were ranch (does not taste like ranch), 1000 Island, honey mustard, mayonnaise, tomato something, and hot mustard.  NONE of which I liked.  No worries ;)  I can eat a dry sandwich.

As I was getting ready to pay, I was trying to decide cookies or chips....the decision was made for me.  They do not have chips.  My options this time were cookies or yogurt.  I went with the cookies, for Addie's benefit of course!

After all of that, I was ready to get our Sprite and sit down to eat.  One last surprise....NO ICE!  So on a positive note, I got WAY more Sprite than I normally would have, on the negative side, it was hot.

Oh well, the sandwich DID taste like home and the cookies were yummy =)  Addie had a smile on her face and actually ate her whole sandwich.  Seems like Subway may be getting a lot of our business!

On to the next adventure =)


No comments:

Post a Comment